Saturday 30 November 2013

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

Tomorrow Advent descends upon us and the Christmas rush begins.

I should let you know right off the bat I adore the Advent season, from the Christmas lights to the Christmas cheer I throw myself into Christmas 110% every year. I love it.

I am not big on spending spending spending, in fact for the last few years I have spent less and less money in favour of making wonderful Christmas hampers for our nearest and dearest. Everything in them I make myself (or with my daughter) and they are full of chocolate truffles, shortbreads, sweets, sausage rolls, cheese straws a Christmas pudding and some homemade decorations. They seem to get bigger every year but for me it is the perfect opportunity to really get stuck into being creative!

There is ALWAYS a manic rush around the 22nd/23rd to wrap the hampers and get all the edible things in pretty bags with sparkly bows and I swear I won't do it the following year but alas so it goes on! Despite my yearly grumble (at some point in the hamper making process) I do really enjoy doing them and think it is so much more personal then if I were to go out and spend said much money. We live in a society that hoards so much 'stuff' I would much rather make people edible treats!

 This year though I am promising myself a different kind of December. "The Christmas Hush" I am not going to burn myself out in the run up to the big day and I am promising myself a bit of 'me time' everyday. Even if it is only 30 minutes I pledge to myself as a little quiet time to do something just for me because to let you in on a little secret I am my own worst enemy!

I really haven't got a handle on listening to my body and stopping when it says stop. In fact, sometimes when my body says stop my mind says "No don't you dare give in! Keep going!" Of course what that does is add to the pain the next day! I am learning though and this advent I have promised that I am going to use this month to get better at waiting!

Waiting whilst my body has a break and regroups, waiting for aches and pains to pass, waiting patiently for sleep to come instead of getting agitated that it hasn't arrived yet. I am going to try really hard to be kind to myself. It the reoccurring thing I keep hearing from people, "You have to be kinder to yourself"

It is so easy to get caught up in the corporate Christmas that demands so much of our attention and bank balance and as the shops get busier but people's patience gets shorter it results in December becoming one of the most stressful months of the year for most people.

This year I am saying no to fretting and trying to create the 'Perfect Christmas' and saying a very big YES to having the best Christmas we can have within all of our current limitations. After all, when you reach perfection really the only way is down.

So, from me to you. I wish you a very relaxed, calm, enjoyable Advent.

Blessings
x x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment x