Tuesday 19 November 2013

Nailed it

Today was a really good day. I woke up at 4.30am (not a flying start to the day) took some pain killers and knew pretty much straight away that there was absolutely no way I was going to get back to sleep before my alarm went off at 6am but instead of getting irritated I snuggled deep under the duvet and watched some of my favourite content creators on YouTube.

There are so many inspiring people on there, if you can sift through all the pointless videos and get to the proper channels it's really being used as a platform for change now and I love that. My absolute favourites at the moment are EcoVeganGal, (www.ecovegangal.com) Jason Wrobel (www.jasonwrobel.com) and The Vegan Zombie  (www.theveganzombie.com) There are all of these videos of people trying to have a positive impact on our planet and their immediate world and it's really inspiring. It's actually making me think maybe I could turn my journey of health into a vlog as well as a blog. Just to put it out there for anyone else living with this condition. It would mean I could keep it going when my hands are too painful to type which would be fantastic.

I've been thinking about vlogging for a while but the idea of talking on camera fills me with dread! I do however have a real desire to share my journey living with chronic illness. I want people who are where I was 18 months ago to be able to read or watch and maybe feel less hopeless? I've also found it really difficult myself to read about other peoples experiences and how it effects them day to day because people either tend to write when it's going really well or when it's all falling apart and there is A LOT of in between that isn't captured.

I have been made aware that I associate my self worth with what I can do physically and I am working really hard to change that. I think because I feel slightly abandoned sometimes which only began when I was unable to physically give to other people it's had a real affect on my confidence, perhaps more then I have been willing to identity.

It isn't about being all happy clappy and look at what I'm achieving despite my body working against me so much but I suppose 'This is what it's like'. It's really difficult to be honest with people around you (and yourself) when you're ill ALL the time because you can end up sounding like a broken record and some people believe it can't possibly be as bad as all that! I think when you live with a genetic disease it goes against this need in our society for people to 'get well', by having a chronic illness you are going against peoples desire to see you return to full health and that can feel really judgemental sometimes. Like, really, do you think if there was anything I could do to make this situation better I wouldn't be doing it?

All that being said though it really makes you strive to find things to be passionate about and I think if you can learn to channel that passion into something positive then you can begin to heal the hurts of  not really knowing what you have to offer people anymore. I know for me personally is perhaps one of the biggest emotional injuries of this time in my life.


I am also right at the very beginning of my journey and although I've been on crutches and my hips have been painful for 20 months now (and I have had painful health complaints for the past 10 years) I literally just got diagnosed so I feel like now seems to be like the perfect time to start cataloguing this in a variety of places. I know I have many life lessons to learn and I think I like the idea of being able to look back on those in years to come when hopefully I am doing a much better job of managing this.

It is making yourself really vulnerable though and I don't know anyone who would do that without any thought going into it, I just, I suppose I'm feeling drawn to creating a really honest project that might promote understanding and acceptance for other people living with chronic illness and disability... we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment x