Sunday 16 March 2014

An apology to the universe !

A weird thing happened today.

We were making our way back to waterloo to head home after having a really nice stay in London. It is no lie that I find going to London for all the hospital appointments really stressful. It's not so much once we're there but I hate leaving Amelia-Rose and how disruptive it is to our family life. Travelling also takes a real toll on my body.

This time though we took Amelia-Rose with us! Work on the train line forced us to stay another night which originally I was resenting (costing us another £164 in hotel fees!) but we have had a nice family break away and going to hospital was a mere blip on the radar. The weather was beautiful too!

Anyway, I digress. On the way back up to the station we passed a woman in a wheelchair who was self propelling (insider speak for making herself go) and I gave her my best stranger beamy smile and she looked at me and completely froze me out! Actually, she looked really annoyed that I had smiled at her.

Now I am a beamy smile at a stranger kind a gal, I don't think it costs a thing to smile at someone and for some reason I just assumed this woman would smile back. But why? I don't expect 'able bodied' strangers to smile back, although of course it's always a pleasure when they do but I honestly thought this woman would automatically smile back. It didn't actually occur to me that she wouldn't... until she didn't.

Before we had our daughter my husband and I would go for long bike rides on beautiful days and I always loved the 'biker nod'. It's an unwritten rule amongst bikers that when you pass each other you nod. I just always thought it was very cool.

When this woman didn't smile back, in my head I got all 'Oh charmed I'm sure, nice, really nice' which I would never do if an up right stranger didn't smile back!

I was thinking about the whole scenario on the way home. It really bothered me how I reacted to this woman not smiling. I think there is a part of me that has this ideological vision of seeing someone else in a wheelchair and us sharing that all knowing smile and nod. Just connecting because we both 'get it'.

Unless you've had to be in a wheelchair for an extended period of time or have the knowledge you will be in that chair either permanently or when you go out for the rest of your life it's very difficult to truly grasp that concept. To a good 90% of the population if you are in a wheelchair you are invisible. To the people who see you many often have a true sympathy in their eyes. It comes from a place of compassion but how i would adore to not conjure that emotion in someone!

I wanted this woman to smile back. I think I almost needed her to smile back? Then it dawned on me that I was doing exactly what I don't like having done! I didn't pause for a minute, or even a second to consider how her day was going. I saw a woman who looked well in herself but was in a wheelchair.  I didn't think about how many people had walked across her path or looked down on her. I didn't consider that she was in pain, felt awful or may have had a rough night.

It was really silly of me and I am sorry for it. I put negative thoughts out there in the universe about this woman and that wasn't really fair! Needless to say I take them all back. Or rather I want to replace them with good ones!

The past three mornings we have had the breakfast buffet at the hotel, when we're in that situation I always prefer to propel myself in my chair, I am increasingly beginning to do it out in the street too as my confidence being in the chair grows.

A few times it has dawned on me that I am different to everyone now. Not in a negative way just in a different way. I think this is all part of my own personal acceptance of my situation.  I think my want for this woman to smile at me came from a want to find a place in the 'disabled community' or even to find it! It's bizarre because I don't want people to see me as different but I am definitely beginning to accept that, yeah, I am different.

I am learning about my physical boundaries and figuring out who I am within those. I am understanding that I can still be 'me' within those boundaries but that I am not the me I was 2 years ago. In a want not to label myself as able or disable I have perhaps denied myself moving along the road. I have maybe trapped myself in a stale mate? Clearly I am still not exactly sure what this is all about otherwise I could be more decisive in my writing but I feel like something in me is changing. That maybe I am beginning to identify that indeed this is all part of my identity.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment x