Monday 6 January 2014

Stepping into 2014 in style.
















BOOM! Now if that isn't the best t-shirt you ever did see I challenge you to show me better!

2014 has descended upon us which means it is now less then 6 weeks until album launch time! Wow! Steve and I have put so much of ourselves into this album I hope people enjoy listening to it as much as we enjoyed making it. On a personal level it has been a bit of a sanity saver for me in the crazy that was 2013.

If you want to learn more about the music collaboration 'Songbird' I am in head on over to www.relaxx.co.uk or www.soundcloud.com/songbird-Unexpected. You can also like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/unexpectedsongbird  or be our friend by searching Song Bird (two words!)

Ok, plug over! As much as I could go on and on about that particular project I shall save that for another day! This is a health/life blog after all!

Update time!

I managed to honour the promise to myself that I would not put myself under lots of pressure for the 'perfect' Christmas but instead have the best Christmas we could have with my health limitations and I honestly think I did it!

The 10 days leading up to Christmas were still earth shattering exhausting but that was because my poor husband had an accident and ended up with his arm in a sling for a week! Our daughter was still at school and buzzing about Christmas coming and oh man it was such a busy week. There were a few crying tired tears! The thing I learned though it that actually in a time of crisis I CAN cope. Physically I paid for it but that was inevitable, the fact is, I learned that I am not as useless in a time of extra physical demand as I thought I would be!

We had a wonderful Christmas and I really felt like we got it 'right'. Good feeling.

The colder weather has bought higher pain levels as it does, but I have taught myself a new word. Capacity. Now I hear you say "But Clo, surely you have known this word most of your life?" and of course I have but I have just recently realised 'Capacity' is a word I like.

It has removed the constant battle between my desire and my capability. For the past 22 months my pain has been the enemy, I have been locked in a battle to not let my pain 'win'. It was to be challenged and never 'allowed' to hold me back. Do you know where this attitude gets you? I'll tell you... no where fast!

The only place that gets you is crying on your bed because once again you lost the battle! (Yeah, so, I don't like admitting that to the world wide web but once again I will say this blog is all about what it is like to live with a chronic illness and, well, that's what it is like sometimes!)

I am now listening to my body more and more and taking her lead. I have not yet mastered this art but by using the word 'Capacity' I am able to rationalise my need for extra physical rest in a way I never have before. Go me!

I have an almost constant dialogue running in my mind. "Do you have the capacity for this? No? Then what about this? Have you got the capacity to do this? Yes?! Wonderful!" etc. I am also holding the consultants words very close to my heart... "Just be really kind to yourself".

I have learned if you live with a chronic illness and you are not kind to yourself  not only do you suffer but so do all the people around you who love you and care for you. I am day by day learning to forgive myself and be kind to myself. I cannot offer anything to anyone else if I am laid up in bed!


These are all amazing positive steps and I hope this can truly be the beginning of living with my illness instead of against it! If this is the first time you have read the blog (where have you been?! ha!) and don't know what on earth I am talking about all is revealed here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-AeepZVuZQ


The not so good news is that my stomach has nose dived over the past 3ish weeks. Since June my husband and I have noticed that I am sick a lot more then your average joe but in the past 3 weeks I have been violently sick everyday and 'holding down' maybe one in every 10 meals? I am nibbling when I can and drinking lots of fluids but even that can be ridiculously painful at times!


 At the moment the only thing I can do really is keep trying different foods and drinking home made juices. A wonderful friend of mine bought me over a soup maker yesterday (which felt like the kindest thing in the world) so I am keen to use that. You throw all your veg in with some stock, set it to the type of soup you want and leave it in the same way you would a stew in a slow cooker. Here's the best bit though! At a set time within the cooking process it blends it! How awesome is that!

Needless to say I am so hungry! I feel empty in a way I never have before and would be inclined to chew on anything if it stayed still next to me for too long (says the vegetarian) watch out cat!



I live in hope that a week or two with juices and soups will give my tummy a rest and hopefully the muscles will start doing their job again. Lazy beeps! ;-)

Although this new development is far from my idea of fun I have achieved two things;

1. Using my visualisation to help me raise above the frustrations of it all. In my mind I have spent a pretty good chunk of time stood next to a lake in Canada watching my pain float away in the past 3 weeks. How very Zen of me! Haha!

 2. Not to panic. Even when the pain has been off the chart I have not reached my panicky pain since the 19th December which in the very least deserves a huge high five! It's not just a step forward it's a hop, skip and a jump forward! (Ironic concept there for a wheelchair user eh! LOL)



So I guess that brings us up to now! It's a funny sort of thing when we hit a celebration like NYE because everyone wishes each other 'health and happiness' at times that can feel a little like rubbing salt in a wound but even that I have managed to put into my own perspective.

Yes my disease is genetic and yes it will likely get worse with age but this is the first year that I have known what condition I am living with and I am keen to learn just exactly how to live with this. I will try everything and anything so that this becomes a part of my life and not my entire life. Chronic illness can consume you and lord knows that is nobodies 'fault' but I believe in my heart that my standard of living can and will improve in the months ahead. In 2014 I will be brave enough to embrace just about every alternative therapy under the sun because, well, for want of a better phrase I deserve it! I deserve health. Whatever my 'healthy' is. I deserve it.

It's our daughter's 5th birthday soon and we're having a party for her next weekend. Watch this space for the party blog!

Be blessed peeps!

Remember, tell the people you love you love them, tell the people you like how much they mean to you and concentrate your time on the people who make you feel good! Life is so precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment x